Opportunities on this web page take the form of workshops, webinars, online synchronous classes and self-paced modules.
- ONLINE RESOURCES
Teaching Essentials for Careers in Higher Education
This is a set of eight online courses available to Michigan State graduate students and postdocs through Desire to Learn (D2L), MSU's course management software. These modules are focused on research and practice in effective college teaching. Featuring international experts on education in a range of disciplines, they offer theory, practical exercises, reflection, and resources for everyone from new instructors to practiced professors. They include video instruction and an extensive list of additional reading. These courses can be taken at any time and in any setting. You can follow a course straight through, or select the course modules most useful to you. These modules were developed by experts in teaching in higher education. They were produced by Epigeum, one of the leading publishers of online courses for higher education professionals. The copyrighted material is licensed for use by those who are affiliated with Michigan State University. Access these courses through:
- Log in on d2l.msu.edu.
- Click on “Self Registration” in the upper right of your home page.
- Select “Teaching Essentials for Careers in Higher Education (Epigeum).”
- Submit the registration information.
- The course should now appear on how home page under “TeachingLearning.”
- Once you click on the course, the separate courses should appear under your content browser.
- While you are in any of the courses, the modules for all of the courses appear in the “Content Map” on the left of the page.
- You can also return to your full list of course titles on the “course home” page; hit the “home” icon under the Content Browser bar.
- Center for the Integration of Research, Teaching and Learning Webinars & Short Courses
- IN-PERSON PROGRAMS
MSU Graduate School Workshops and Institutes
The Graduate School and Postdoc Office host a variety of in-person workshops related to teaching and other areas of professional development. Please click on the link above for more details about upcoming offerings.
MSU Academic Advancement Network Workshops and Institutes
The Office of the Provost sponsors a variety of teaching workshops for MSU faculty. These workshops are open to postdocs. Many of them are open to graduate students. Please click on the link above for more details about upcoming offerings.
Michigan State University offers a Certification in College Teaching to graduate students and postdoctoral fellows. Please click on the link above for more information.
Fellowships & Learning Communities
Michigan State University offers year-long fellowships for graduate students to participate in learning communities with others passionate about teaching. Please click on the link above for more information.