- Type the title in all CAPITAL LETTERS centered 2 inches from the top of the page and single-spaced.
- Double-space once after the title and type “By”.
- Double-space once after “By” and type the author' name, in full as it is officially recognized by Michigan State University. The author's name must be identical in all aspects of the submission. Nicknames and shortened versions of names are not allowed.
- Type “A DISSERTATION” or “A THESIS” in all capital letters at least 2.5 inches below the name.
- Double-space once and then type (single-spaced and centered) in sentence case:
Michigan State University
in partial fulfillment of the requirements
for the degree of
- Double-space once after “for the degree of” and type the name of the Graduate Degree Granting Unit/Program and the degree that is being conferred (examples below):
Fisheries and Wildlife—Master of Science
Chemistry—Doctor of Philosophy
- If there is a dual major, the degree granting units and degrees are to be written in the following way: The main degree is to be on the first line, then single-space once and type the second degree on the next line. Example:
Integrative Biology—Doctor of Philosophy
Ecology, Evolutionary Biology and Behavior—Dual Major
- A complete list of Graduate Degree Granting Units/Programs are available on the Registrar’s website. Only the units/programs listed here are approved by Michigan State University. You will also encounter this same list in the ProQuest website for submission.
- Double-space once after the Graduate Degree Granting Unit/Program and degree and type the year in which the thesis/dissertation is being completed and approved by the Graduate School. (Note: in the ETD information in your ProQuest account, the year the manuscript is completed and the year the degree is awarded must match the year on the title page of your document.)
- The title page is to be counted, but not numbered.
Sample Dissertation Title page
Sample Dissertation Title Page with Dual Major
Sample Master’s Thesis Title page