Animal Care Program
- If vertebrate animals were used in your research, the IACUC (AUF) letter (on letterhead from the Animal Care Program office) should be uploaded with your electronic Approval Form.
- The IACUC (AUF) number that is to appear on your approval form is the “IACUC ID” number on the IACUC letter (i.e.: PROTO201800030).
Activities Needing Approval
Any ownership or use of animals for research, teaching, testing, or public outreach by or for MSU must be approved by the IACUC. Some activities are exempt but check first.
Check with the IACUC before you do any of these:
- breed, buy, or conduct research involving animals
- study wild animals
- conduct farming and food production with animals
- euthanize an animal
- import or export animals
- test products, procedures, or treatments on animals
- transport animals
- initiate a new project
- add a new procedure or controlled substance
- change your protocol
- change the breed you are using
- schedule a public performance or demonstration with animals
Get approval before you begin ANY activities involving animals.
The laws and guidelines for using animals are numerous. Non-compliance can affect animal care. Non-compliance will be costly to the investigator and the University (such as damage to our reputation and funding). The IACUC committee and staff have up-to-date information on legislation and regulations and contacts with agencies providing guidelines for the care and use of animals.
Please note: your thesis or dissertation may be rejected if you did not obtain IACUC approval prior to the start of your research, if your IACUC request was backdated or if your review request was denied by the Animal Care Program office. For further information, please see the Animal Care Program/IACUC website at: https://animalcare.msu.edu/iacuc/index.html. Phone: 517-432-8103. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.