Schedule an Advising Appointment
PhD Career Services can help at every state of planning for life after graduate school.
If you are in need of one-on-one help in your career planning or professional development, it might be time to schedule an appointment.
Eligibility for Advising Services:
- All currently enrolled graduate students (both masters & PhD) students are eligible, including part-time graduate students.
- Postdoctoral Scholars/Postdoctoral Fellows
- Graduates of any MSU Graduate Program are eligible for advising for two calendar years after graduation.
Currently enrolled Masters or Ph.D. Students: Log in to Handshake to schedule an appointment. Detailed instructions are below.
Postdoctoral scholars: You can access career advising and support from the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs (link to PDA).
Alumni and others: Did you graduate from MSU in the last two years? Then you can take advantage of our one-on-one advising support. Send an email to us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request access to Handshake. You will need to include your MSU Net ID, School or College you graduate from and the year you graduated. Once we’ve created your account you can go directly to Handshake to schedule your appointment.
Need some help? This tutorial will walk you through appointment scheduling in Handshake.
Did you graduate more than 2 years ago? Great! Then you can (and should!) take advantage of career support in a couple of places. Here’s where to start! https://careernetwork.msu.edu/channels/alumni/
Due to limitations on staffing and resources, PhD Career Development staff may limit the number of sessions available to individuals.
Scheduling Appointments on MSU Handshake for Master's and Ph.D. students
- Go to https://msu.joinhandshake.com/
- From the options given at the top of the page under “How can we help you today?”, select the far right panel titled “Career Center”.
- On the landing page, select the panel titled “Appointments” under “What can we help you find?”.
- On the landing page, click on the blue box that says “Schedule a New Appointment”.
- Select “Graduate Career Services”
- Next, choose an appointment type from the list given.
- Once an appointment type is selected, you can then select the week in which you are seeking an appointment, using the arrow buttons. When you’ve selected a particular week, your screen should indicate on which days appointments are available. If you click on a given day, timing and advisor options will appear below. Select one, enter the details requested (What can we help you with? and your Phone number) and press the green request button to submit your request.
- We have two dedicated advisors for graduate students—both are excellent and can provide valuable feedback too ALL graduate students. If you are particularly interested in academic CVs or Ph.D.-level careers, Kayon Hall is an excellent resource. For questions specific to master’s students and anyone wanting to develop a resume for non-academic roles, Megan Jursch is an excellent resource. Both are valuable partners to ALL graduate students, so feel free to find a time with either consultant to support your needs.
Ph.D. Candidate, Department of Educational Administration
Higher, Adult, and Lifelong Education Program
Book an appointment with Kayon here!
Master's Candidate, School of Human Resources and Labor Relations
Book an appointment with Megan here!