PROCEDURE TO HAVE FIXED-TERM MSU FACULTY, ACADEMIC SPECIALISTS, AND NON-MSU INDIVIDUALS SERVE ON GRADUATE STUDENT COMMITTEES
Academic Programs describes policies for the composition of master’s and doctoral graduate committees. As members of the “regular faculty,” MSU tenure stream faculty, the principal administrator of each major administrative unit, and librarians are eligible to sit on and chair graduate committees. People beyond these categories--including those from outside MSU--must receive special approval to join graduate committees using the process described below.
The majority of the committee must consist of regular faculty members. (Academic Programs, see links above).
To request Graduate School approval for a member of a graduate committee, the student's graduate program administrator (e.g., secretary, director, coordinator) must submit this form after discussing the arrangement with the student, the faculty advisor, and the new member, and before the new member assumes committee duties. Please read the instructions on the form carefully and be sure to use the link therein to preview what information is required.
The letter of agreement to serve from the new committee member must include the following statements:
- Their understanding of their role on the committee,
- They agree to serve in this role,
- They have received and agree to follow MSU's Guidelines for Graduate Student Mentoring and Advising (link below), and
- Within the past 24 months, they have received/completed and agree to follow the information contained in MSU's Relationship Violence and Sexual Misconduct (RVSM) training materials (links below).
The student's graduate program administrator is responsible for providing the new committee member with the following materials before uploading the agreement letter. Of special note: As volunteers, non-MSU committee members are responsible RVSM reporters, as detailed in the training documents.
- MSU's Guidelines for Graduate Student Mentoring and Advising
- MSU's RVSM Online Training for those WITH an MSU NetID
- MSU's RVSM Training Materials for those WITHOUT an MSU NetID
After the student's Graduate Program, College, and the Graduate School have approved that the new member is eligible to serve, the student will receive an email with instructions for adding the new member to their committee in GradPlan.
Please contact the Graduate School with questions at email@example.com.