BEST 2.0: MSU BEST 2.0 is a program to support biomedical trainees—Ph.D. students and post docs—in developing the skills and experiences to find, and succeed in, careers of their choosing. This program goes at your pace, and allows you to develop the path that serves YOUR interests.
- R-Ladies East Lansing welcomes R-enthusiasts of all proficiency levels, including aspiring and experienced R programmers, who are interested in mentoring, networking & expertise upskilling to attend their monthly meetings. Everyone is welcome to attend, including women, LGBTQ and men. As a diversity initiative, the mission of R-Ladies is to achieve proportionate representation by encouraging, inspiring, and empowering people of genders currently underrepresented in the R community. We encourage leadership by gender minorities and participation by all.
Post docs are able to take advantage of the resources, support, and personal and professional development opportunities offered by a range of offices and organizations at Michigan State University including:
- The Graduate School guides students and postdocs to the resources they need for planning and professional development. Check out their upcoming workshops and events.
- Office of the Vice President for Research and Graduate Studies (OVPRGS) is responsible for the administration of faculty and student research across the university.
- Academic Advancement Network (AAN) facilitates cross-institutional connections among individuals and entities in support of the advancement of academic careers. The AAN supports MSU academic colleagues of all appointment types, career stages, and roles as they develop productive careers reflective of their individual aspirations and helps them understand how those aspirations contribute to institutional priorities.
- WorkLife Office provides a one-stop destination for your lifespan and career/professional life questions. The staff of the office can help facilitate success in your many roles and can offer guidance in creating synergy between those responsibilities.
- PhD Career Services provides multiple online resources, as well as workshops and advising, to support the many paths graduate students and postdocs choose to pursue.
- Academic Human Resources is dedicated to ensuring that you have the resources and information you need to succeed.
- They offer a variety of academic development and training opportunities.
- They offer certificate programs in Understanding Implicit Bias and Foundations of Student Employee Supervision.
- They provide access to ElevateU online training which offers programs that cover leadership, IT & desktop, business, finance, human resources, change management, project management, interpersonal skills and so much more.
- The Center for Statistical Training & Consulting (CSTAT) provides personalized advice and consulting to researchers on research design, data collection, and quantitative analysis; normally this advice is provided free of charge for the MSU community. CSTAT also sponsors workshops on statistical methods and statistical software applications that are offered free of charge. The mission of the Center is to increase rigor, reproducibility, quality and quantity of research at MSU.
- The Academic Women's Forum and Women's Networking Association offer monthly seminars open to the MSU community.
Additional internal and external resources for postdocs can be found on the Other Resources page.
Materials from Past Workshops:
- Postdoc Appreciation Day Workshops (9/21/18)
Have you heard of other upcoming opportunites, or do you have suggestions for other resources to list? Email us at email@example.com.