Three (3) travel awards of $500 each will be awarded twice a year.
Fall Travel Award : Application deadline by December 1, 11.59 pm.
Travel period from September 1st of current year to February 28th of following year.
Spring Travel Award : Application deadline by May 1, 11.59 pm.
Travel period from March 1st of current year to August 31st of current year.
All current postdoctoral research associates and fellows at Michigan State University are eligible to apply except for:
- Current members of the MSU-PDA Steering Committee
- Individuals that have already received this travel award during their time at MSU
- Individuals attending meetings/scientific conferences held at Michigan State University
Recipients of a Travel Award must agree to serve as reviewers for the next round of Travel Award applications.
Awards will be granted to attend meetings/scientific conferences but not invited talks at Universities or non-conference events.
How to apply
All the applications should be prepared using the official form that can be downloaded here.
Applications should include:
- Conference details: (i) Name of the conference, dates and location; (ii) oral/poster communication; (iii) total expenses (include travel fees, registration fees, housing fees and other related conference fees)
- Abstract: (i) The abstract should clearly and concisely identify the aim(s), goal(s) and results/conclusions of the work presented; (ii) The use of field-specific jargon and abbreviations should be avoided.
- Communication outcomes: (i) Description in general terms of the overall research with which the postdoc is involved, how it is integrated into a main focus area of the lab, what has been previously achieved and how this work is moving the project forward; the impact of the work on the applicant’s field of research and/or the applications outside of the field, if any; (ii) The technology behind the work if it is new or unusual in the field; (iii) How the participation in the meeting/workshop will impact the applicant’s research/field and future career.
Note: the reviewing panel for the Travel Award is composed of fellow MSU postdoctoral researchers from ALL DISCIPLINES. Ensure that the material you submit is comprehensible and accessible to a broad audience!
Once the form is filled
- Convert the file to pdf file format
- Save with applicants last name as file name
- Submit via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
The recipient of the Travel Award should
- Turn in all required documentation (travel vouchers and receipts) for the reimbursement within their department.
- Should send a copy of the conference registration to the MSU-PDA.
The person preparing the reimbursement should then contact Aida Montalvo (email@example.com) for the account number for the respective award within 14 days after completion of the meeting/conference***.
***For the Spring Travel Award, all receipts must be submitted to the Graduate School after July 1, unless specified otherwise.
In the event this does not happen, the MSU-PDA and MSU graduate school reserve the right to revoke the Travel Award. In such event if the award money is already in the possession of the postdoc, the recipient shall be required to reimburse the full amount of the fellowship to the MSU Graduate School.
If the meeting/conference is postponed, an addendum should be sent to the MSU-PDA (firstname.lastname@example.org) within a timely manner informing them of the situation. Applicants awarded a fellowship will be able to use the money for postponed meetings when they occur.
If the meeting/conference is cancelled, the Travel Award must be returned to the MSU Graduate School within 30 days of the meeting/conference cancellation notice.
Applications that do not respect the number of pages or use the official form will be disregarded.