- Three travel awards of $500 each will be awarded twice a year.
- Spring Award for travel taking place between January 1st and June 30th.
- Fall Award for travel taking place between July 1st and December 31st
- Awards are granted to offset the costs associated with travel to meetings/scientific conferences, and cannot be used for invited talks at universities or non-conference events.
- The deadline and application form for the next cycle will be announced in Fall 2018.
- Typically, applications are due in mid/late October for the Spring Award and mid/late April for the Fall Award so that winners are notified in advance of their travel.
All current postdoctoral research associates and fellows at Michigan State University are eligible to apply except for:
- Current members of the MSU-PDA Steering Committee
- Individuals that have already received this travel award during their time at MSU
- Individuals attending meetings/scientific conferences held at Michigan State University
*Recipients of a Travel Award must agree to serve as reviewers for the next round of Travel Award applications.*
How to apply
All the applications should be prepared using the official form.
Applications should include:
- Conference details: (i) Name of the conference, dates and location; (ii) oral/poster communication; (iii) total expenses (include travel fees, registration fees, housing fees and other related conference fees)
- Abstract*: The abstract should clearly and concisely identify the aim(s), goal(s) and results/conclusions of the work presented.
- Communication outcomes*: (i) Description in general terms of the overall research with which the postdoc is involved, how it is integrated into a main focus area of the lab, what has been previously achieved and how this work is moving the project forward; the impact of the work on the applicant’s field of research and/or the applications outside of the field, if any; (ii) The technology behind the work if it is new or unusual in the field; (iii) How the participation in the meeting/workshop will impact the applicant’s research/field and future career.
*Note: the reviewing panel for the Travel Award is composed of fellow MSU postdoctoral scholars from ALL DISCIPLINES. Ensure that the material you submit is comprehensible and accessible to a broad audience. The use of field-specific jargon and abbreviations should be avoided.*
Once the form is filled:
- Convert the file to pdf file format
- Save with applicants last name as the file name
- Submit via email to email@example.com
*Applications that do not respect the number of pages, do no use the official form, or are received after the deadline will be disregarded.*
The recipient of the Travel Award should:
- Turn in all required documentation (travel vouchers and receipts) for the reimbursement within their department.
- Send a copy of the conference registration to the MSU-PDA.
The person preparing the reimbursement should:
- Contact Aida Montalvo (firstname.lastname@example.org) for the account number for the respective award within 14 days after completion of the meeting/conference. For the Spring Travel Award, all receipts must be submitted to the Graduate School after July 1, unless specified otherwise.
- In the event this does not happen, the MSU-PDA and MSU graduate school reserve the right to revoke the Travel Award. In such event that the award money is already in the possession of the postdoc, the recipient shall be required to reimburse the full amount of the fellowship to the MSU Graduate School.
If the meeting/conference is postponed, an addendum should be sent to the MSU-PDA (email@example.com) within a timely manner informing them of the situation. Applicants awarded a fellowship will be able to use the money for postponed meetings when they occur.
If the meeting/conference is cancelled, the Travel Award must be returned to the MSU Graduate School within 30 days of the meeting/conference cancellation notice.