Skip to Main Content Home | Contact | About | Sitemap

logo logo
subheader picture


Preparing for and Responding to Emergencies

One of the most important steps you can take to stay safe abroad is to register your travel with the U.S. State Department ( prior to departure. You do not need to be a U.S. Citizen to register. Situations like the 2004 Southeast Asian tsunami and the 2006 Israel-Lebanon conflict demonstrate the importance of State Department registry. Also, as a result of your registration, you will be able to receive emergency information from the relevant Embassy or Consulate via e-mail. If you are enrolled with the Office of Study Abroad, your travel will automatically be registered with the U.S. State Department.

Other common non-health emergencies usually involve loss of access to funds or theft of important documents. Follow the Office of Study Abroad recommendations for obtaining money abroad.

While you are probably already an expert in many subjects relevant to your target country, it is important to familiarize yourself with the latest information regarding safety and security in that location. A variety of government and institutional resources are readily available:

Last Modified: 4/21/2009

© 2016 The Graduate School, Michigan State University Board of Trustees
MSU is an affirmative-action, equal-opportunity employer.
Chittenden Hall; 466 W. Circle Dr. Rm 230; East Lansing MI 48824-1044.
Phone: (517) 353-3220